We know I love party things.
We also know that I love party things that can be re purposed and used everyday.
I wanted to make a backdrop for the dessert table for Averie’s Princess Party and decided I wanted to go a little ‘shabby chic’ and use lots of different fabric. I also wanted to make sure it was something that we could use throughout the year. Thankfully our little princess only has one window in her bedroom, and it’s a big window, so I decided we could make a backdrop that could double as a curtain for her room.
I should note that I decided all of this as I was standing in Hancock Fabrics, without knowing the measurements of Averie’s window, and without having a CLUE as to what I was doing, so poor Aaron was on the other end of the phone trying to help me out…
Good news is, I got it all figured out and came home with a stack of fabric. How much fabric? I have no idea. All I did was get at least 2 yards of each color, making sure that the ream length would cover the height of the window with 5-6 inches to spare for tying. Like I said, I was making it up as I went! I walked out the store with just shy of $36 worth of fabric – hooray for sales!
I started to carefully cut each strip of fabric – about three inches wide, making sure that it would be at least 5-6 inches longer than the window itself. PLEASE make sure you check that your fabric is the right way before you start to cut it, or you could potentially end up with some strips that aren’t long enough (don’t look too closely at the gold strips in mine…)
After a while, I decided I would try to rip them. Afterall, it was shabby chic – it didn’t need to have perfectly cut edges. It worked amazingly well. I was able to not only get all of the fabric ripped to size in less than 2 episodes of Law and Order SVU, but I was also able to work out some pent up aggressions!!
I snuck into Averies room and pulled down her curtain rod – she had a cafe rod in her room – which is PERFECT for things like this. I removed her curtain and started tying the strips of fabric on, in random order, trying to keep the knots at the top so they were relatively the same height. At this point I didn’t worry about the length.
After I was done I hung the curtain back up in Averie’s room and then went along the bottom with scissors to make everything CLOSE to the same size. Again – shabby chic, so it’s not supposed to be perfect.
The end result was awesome. I need to shift her artwork hanging strip down, but otherwise I love it! I’m almost a little sad that I have no reason to make another one for my bedroom!!